Exam Room Technician
Do you love to learn? Are you passionate about giving back? Do you want to be proud of where you work? Do you love animals? Do you want to provide quality service to our clients? If so, Allandale Veterinary Hospital wants you!
We are an expanding nine doctor Veterinary practice with an amazing reputation in Barrie and beyond - some of our clients travel to us from as far as Sudbury! Our team is actively involved in fundraising and working with The Global Alliance for Animals and People in Canada, Central America and the Caribbean. We collect food for the Barrie Food Bank, and work with numerous rescue organizations. Our awards include the 2013 International Hospital Design of the Year Award and runner-up for the prestigious Petplan Veterinary Excellence Awards. We are registered as a Cat Friendly Practice and our staff are trained in Fear Free handling. We are also AAHA and CVO accredited and strive to provide high-quality care. Our team prides itself in providing outstanding care to our patients and clients. We are looking for amazing Exam Room Assistants (ERAs) who thrive in a fast-paced environment where every day there is something new to learn and something fluffy to cuddle.
Exam Room Assistant (ERA)
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- 1. Preps the exam rooms prior to patient’s visit by sweeping, cleaning, and ensuring the room is adequately stocked.
- 2. Greets clients and patients upon arrival in a friendly manner.
- 3. Records patient time of check-on on animal check-in sheet.
- 4. Escorts client and patient into exam room.
- 5. Weighs patient and records weight by opening invoice in the exam room.
- 6. Takes the patients temperature, reviews medical history, and records in the SAOP of the medical records in Cornerstone.
- 7. Retrieves appropriate Veterinarian once the patient is ready and remains in the exam room to take medical notes and enter invoice.
- 8. Documents daily patient appointments with Veterinarian and client, records all Veterinarian/client conversations and Veterinarian’s findings during medical appointments.
- 9. Works with receptionists to link communication between front and back of hospital.
- 10. Takes pertinent history, TPR (temperature pulse respiration) and vital signs, if situation warrants.
- 11. Prepares medications and vaccinations as required.
- 12. Prepares necessary requisitions for blood work, x-rays and patient medical tests.
- 13. Admits patients into hospital by placing necessary information on hospital census/whiteboard.
- 14. Places call to client when patient is recovering and informs them of their progress.
- 15. Calls client when patient is ready to be released for pick-up and ensures all personal property is returned (i.e. leashes, etc.).
- 16. Places follow-up calls to clients on patients after their hospital visit.
- 17. Helps in the treatment area when requested by the Veterinarian.
- 18. Other administrative duties, as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Strong ability to provide empathy, understanding and emotional support to clients.
- A calm and caring demeanor when interacting with patients.
- Comfortable and passionate about working with all types of animals.
- Ability to work cohesively with all employees as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal & written) and telephone etiquette skills.
- Displays and maintains a professional and positive attitude.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure with simultaneous deadlines.
- Detailed oriented and excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of pertinent data.
- Completion of post-secondary education.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience as an Exam Room Technician or in a similar role is preferred but will train.
- Must be comfortable with current technology. Proficient with the following computer environments: Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and Outlook.
- Knowledge of camera and microchip scanner.
- Working knowledge of office equipment: photocopier, fax machine etc.
- Flexible to work various shifts, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be available to work night and weekend pharmacy shifts one or two times per week.
- Working knowledge of Cornerstone software.
- General understanding of medical terminology.
If you possess the above skills along with a love of animals, please apply to join our team! Please submit a COVER LETTER and RESUME by to firstname.lastname@example.org
Allandale Veterinary Hospital is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.